Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Upcycled Japanese Fabric Sketch Book


When I see photo albums, blank journals, or sketchbooks on sale at office supply stores, discount stores, and of course HM Ben Franklin Crafts, I purchase them with the idea of decorating them in the future.  Recently, while sorting through my craft room 'stuff' I came across a pile of undecorated blank album books.  This book had a cover design that I didn't like but I did like the overall shiny black look which reminded me of Japanese lacquerware. This inspired me to give the sketchbook an Asian look with some Daiso crepe fabric, woven cord charm, and a glossy Hanafuda card. It wasn't difficult to glue a piece of felt onto a measured piece of cardboard and then wrap some of the fabric over and around the felt padded cardboard.  I used Fabri-Tac Beacon 3 in1 glue because it is clear, has a fast grab, and it dries quickly.  The decorative knotted cord was originally probably a bookmark but I incorporated into the design of the cover so that it could be used from the bottom of the sketchbook as a page marker.  The Hanafuda card was purchased years ago in a playing card pack and already had a glossy surface. I enjoyed making this upcycled sketchbook because it is now 100 percent better and can be used personally or proudly given as a gift.  Upcycle something today!



 


















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is my second try to send a comment. My first comment stated that I was able to read only half of the craft process…due to IT technical difficulties me. So this is what I think, so classic! I really liked the Hanafuda card designs too. I recently bought a pack of cards and now have great ideas on how to use these cards with its simple but classic design. Thanks sis!