Monday, July 28, 2008

More Beading Information

I forgot to mention in my last post that the average bracelet has a finished length of 7 to 8 inches. I start the bracelet by unrolling about 12" of wire, but leave it on the roll with the plastic cover stopping the rest of the wire from unwinding. Then I string on the beads and end with a crimp and one side of the clasp. After going back through the crimp bead I use the crimping tool. Next, I cut the wire off the roll with about 4" excess wire to finish the bracelet. This method allows you to waste the least amount of wire. Don't use fishing line for your crimped bracelets because the crimps will cut through the line eventually. Guess how I know this? Also your crimp bead should fit snugly around the two strands of the wire before crimping. There are several sizes of crimp beads and wires so choose the right size so that the crimped bead won't slip. (Another lesson learned the hard way.) If you are using very heavy beads, look at the diameter of the beading wire to find the strongest one. The number of strands in the wire make it more flexible. I hope this information helps you with your bead bracelet creations.

No comments: