Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Collecting Old Things

Some of you may know that I have a penchant for vintage and antique 'stuff', basically anything with patina on it. (Yes dear, that's why I find you attractive.) Anyway, sometimes when I'm lucky I discover (at a garage sale, flea market, or online) old jewelry that have the potential of being turned into uniquely, beautiful wearable art pieces. Even my husband sometimes searches on Ebay for items he thinks I might like. Recently, he purchased the cameo bar pin (for under $15 including postage) I used in the pictured necklace (click on photo to enlarge). Even though the pin is probably brass, I felt it deserved gold filled findings because it is such a charming representation of an era (late Victorian or Edwardian/Deco) when even costume jewelry was well designed. To ensure that the pin would not poke the wearer, I bent the C-clasp to lock in the pointed shaft end. I did not remove the pin back because I thought that perhaps someday someone will want to turn the necklace back into a pin. By doing simple wire wrapping (24 gauge gold filled wire) on semi-precious beads (garnets, pearls, and rose quartz) I formed the beaded chain and dangles. I think the resulting jewelry piece is one that I will wear with pride because I was able to recycle and create.

No comments: