Monday, June 27, 2011

Vintage-look Wooden Box and Barnacle

Here are two treasures I discovered on my recent trip. The box was purchased from a little boutique store in Bothell, Washington. It was an inexpensive item which had a shabby chic look that was made simply using a hardware store drawer pull on top and large faceted plastic beads for feet. Isn't it adorable? I thought blogland crafters might find this an easy, clever project to make for craft fairs. Ben Franklin Crafts has a large inventory of wooden boxes which could easily be turned into a keepsake keeper like this. The barnacle in this photo was a real find from a store in Kahala Mall. (I've forgotten the name of the shop.) I plan to use this barnacle as an earring and bracelet holder/display on my dresser. I think that I will go to Ben Franklin Crafts to get other shells for a dining table display. Recently, the Nate Berkus show (0ne of my favorites) encouraged viewers to decorate with shells in a sand-filled tray. I like the look and I am further inspired everytime I go to my eye doctor's waiting room and admire the casual island feel a tray of shell imparts to a room. Shopping for treasures doesn't have to cost a fortune but the treasure should enhance your life and give you pleasure everytime you look at it. Objects can be 3-D memory holders for pleasant times.....hmm-m-m maybe I can insert a photo into the barnacle AND hang my jewelry on it. Keep your eyes open and you will be surprised at what you discover. Happy Hunting!

4 comments:

Joy said...

Haha! At first I thought the barncale was a flower and I was trying to figure out if it was those painted tulips or what!

Great finds! Thaks for sharing what you plan to do with them,too!

kris said...

LOVE unique collectibles! these are great finds and make good home decor... =D

Cheryl said...

Love that drawer!!! I was laughing at Joy's comment because I thought the same thing. Never heard of it. But great ideas and I love watching Nate too. He's great.

Moving Boxes said...

It was a pleasure to read your blog. And yes, you have earned a nice treasure! Nice post really.