Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Rosemary and Olive Tempenade Scones

Are you doing more cooking these days?  I think it helps to keep busy and making something yourself is satisfying.  I was planning to make my usual cream scones but I lacked heavy cream.  What I had in my refrigerator was Greek yogurt and soymilk. While considering whether they would work in my usual scone recipe, I spied another recipe for savory scones.  I was intrigued and delighted that I had all the ingredients except for the heavy whipping cream.  Since I thought that the tang of yogurt would combine well with rosemary and olive tempenade, I decided to give this new recipe a try. Here is my altered version:

                                           Rosemary and Olive Tempenade Scones

2 cups whole grain flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold butter (cut into pieces)
2 tablespoons of olive tempenade
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 cup Greek yogurt
4 tablespoons soymilk

Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter to make coarse crumbs. Stir in minced rosemary and olive tempenade.  Mix the yogurt with the soymilk and reserve 1 tablespoon of the mixture. Add the 1 cup + 3 T. of yogurt mixture to the flour mixture to form a dough.  Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out the dough into a 1/2" thick sheet. Cut the dough into 24 pieces.  Place the squares of dough on parchment lined baking sheets.  Brush the dough squares with the reserved yogurt/soymilk mixture.  Bake the scones at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

I made 24 scones from the recipe but they were elf-sized so next time I'll make bigger ones for people with big mouths...LOL!  If you are home with time to spare (who isn't?) give this recipe a try and feel free to alter it to suit what is in your refrigerator. Be creative and enjoy your edible experiment!

P.S. Besides crafting and cooking, I enjoy collecting vintage and antique ceramic pieces.  The flat bowl in this photo is one I purchased for very little....such a lucky find! It is well marked on the back so its origin and approximate age can be traced.  I love it because it is usable and pretty...so hard to believe it survived approximately 100 years of use.

1 comment:

Annette Allen said...

Girl you make me hungry... these look so yummy.. thanks for sharing.