Friday, March 26, 2021

Upcycling Paper Bags Into Easter Baskets

As a keeper of sturdy bags and boxes for upcycling, I couldn't throw away these great Hawaiian Airlines snack bags that were given during an international flight (taken way before the pandemic altered our traveling days).  I thought that the shape, color and woven handles would make great Easter baskets for my two honey bunnies.
I used the Lawn Fawn grassy hill dies to cut enough green card stock to go all around the bottom of each basket, adding extra hills as needed.  Next I stamped and colored the retired Sister Stamps bunnies.  They were fussy cut by hand and attached to the baskets with foam dot adhesives.  Because the bags had Hawaiian Airline logos on the top edge of each side of the bags, I made a 'happy easter' label for one side and used scrabble sticker letters on the other side.
For a little added color, I decided that Easter eggs would be perfect. However, I was too lazy to hand color each one and I didn't have the right size stickers.  I did locate a Studio G egg stamp set (from BFC) and combined with a long Colorbox rainbow ink pad I was able to create dozens of paper eggs that looked individually hand dyed.  
I discovered a long forgotten bottle of tiny Prima paper flowers and used them to further decorate the baskets.  The center of each flower was embellished with a tiny dot of Nuvo pearlized purple dimensional paint (available in an abundance of olors at HM Ben Franklin Crafts).  This was a satisfying upcycling project because I turned something others would throw away into Easter baskets special enough for two special boys.  Hooray for upcycling!!!!!

 

1 comment:

eunice said...

Wow, these are the cutest upcycled paper bag Easter baskets I've ever seen! You really managed to kick them up a notch by adding the colorful border of adorable bunnies, rainbow colored eggs and blossoms. Your little hunny bunnies will be thrilled and excited to receive these!