Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Recycled Japanese Bento (Lunch) Box


On a recent trip to the land of self-flushing toilets (Japan), my husband and I purchased lunch (bento) boxes for a train ride.  We were surprised that the traditional lunches came in pretty faux lacquer boxes. After eating the delicious contents, my husband wanted to throw away the plastic coated cardboard boxes but my crafty senses would not let him toss them.  Reluctantly, he let me pack the boxes in our suitcase...I did fill them with other purchases to save suitcase space. ..LOL!  Later on the trip I purchased some hanafuda card stickers that I knew I could use for future projects. (Hanafuda is a Japanese card game that I played as a child so I was really attracted to the colorful images.)  
Because the box already looked like a fancy lacquer box, all I had to do was press down the stickers and apply a coating of Glossy Accents (available at HM BFC) over each sticker. After letting the Glossy Accents dry overnight, I tied on the faux kimono fabric cording (discovered in my hoard of Asian bits and pieces drawer).  My husband cannot believe the upcycled remake of the 'throw away' lunch boxes.  He promised to trust my crafting instincts in the future...hahaha! I think this box will make an excellent cookie gift box...green tea (matcha) shortbread might be a perfect match.




 

No comments: