Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Night Light

When my children were little, there was a favorite book that we read and reread. It was called, "The Night Light Kids".......I think....I can't remember the author but I do remember that the pictures of the animals and the sweet story was soothing.....a great bedtime story. Anyway, the Penny Black Christmas clear stamp sets have the same sweet innocent look. This one with the three mice and a lantern made me decide that I just had to make it into a night light. I started by stamping the image on vellum (with sparkles) using black Staz-On ink. Next I colored the back of the image with markers. Inside the 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3" clear acrylic box (available at Ben Franklin Crafts) I placed a flickering tea light (battery operated) (also available at Ben Franklin Crafts). To make the light appear behind the lantern I inserted a large lump of Hearty Clay and pressed the light into it until it was in the right position. Snowflake stickers (Martha Stewart) were positioned around the sides and top. Ribbon and a mini garland (both from BFC) were a glued to the lid being careful not to glue the lid to the base of the box because the switch of the tea light needs to be accessible. This simple project can easily be adapted to other rubber stamp designs. I really think your favorite little one will be delighted to have a night light like this. Come to think of it even an adult would be charmed by this project. Full instructions for this night light will be on our BFC website (http://www.bfcraftclub.com/) as soon as possible.













5 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a cute night light Lynn! What kind of box did you use? You did a fantastic job on coloring! Have a great weekend!

Brenda said...

i like all the details on your night light... great idea!

Shirley N said...

What a great idea to use those plastic boxes, Lynn! Your image is adorable and your coloring is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn. I've been searching for the author of the book you mentioned...The Night Light Kids. Your blog is the only "hit" I found on the internet. Any chance you remember the author's name, or any other info about the book? I know the characters were animals, including a basset hound (and his dad), I think also a porcupine. So want to find this book (which is lavendar hardcover I think)! Thanks for you help. -Melisa (quinnmelisa@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Lynn,

p.s. Also remember one of the stories had something to do with a merry-go-round, another related to halloween (where the basset hound may have been dressed like a ghost...was his name bertrand?). Hope this jogs your memory. ;) Melisa