Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Watermelons and Ants Birthday Card

I struggled to find a theme for my son's birthday card but couldn't find any images that I hadn't used on previous birthday cards for him.  Then I spied the Doodlebug Designs 12x12 card stock sheets with ants on it and EUREKA! I had an idea for a card.  My son has been plagued by very tiny ants in his new house so being the comedian that I am, I decided to make him an ant birthday card. LOL!  Doodlebug Designs also has a watermelon design 12x12 card stock (available at HM Ben Franklin Crafts) which I thought would pair well with the ants.  Using a Whimsy slimline die I cut the ant card stock.  I thought this one had the feel of ant holes.  Next I used the largest slimline rectangular die from a Hero Arts set and cut the card base by aligning the folded edge of a piece of watermelon card stock just inside the die.                                 

To make this card a shaker one, I die cut a piece of acetate and one of thin green foam with the Whimsy die.  These were glued behind the ant die cut.  Sequins and little fruit confetti (Sprinkletz from HM BFC) were add before the whole acetate foam piece was glued over them. The die cut watermelon was pieced together by putting black paper under the seed opening and the fruit and rind were glued to white paper before hand trimming.  I like how the watermelon looks!  The Mama Elephant ant stamps were colored and fussy cut before attaching them with foam dots. The words were a lucky find from my scrap pile and were actually the back of a  (Pebbles?) card stock that I sliced into strips.

Of course, I had to make a tag with the extra watermelon I assembled.  I also wanted to try out the 'Sweet' script die that came with the watermelon die (Violet Studio ).  The word was too thin to show up well on the tag so I cut another one in green and glued it on top.  I added green twine to coordinate with the reverse side of the watermelon card stock which peeks out after cutting a strip off the tag bottom.  I hope my son likes this personalized birthday card because it was crafted with love and humor....like most of my handmade cards.  Happy Summer Crafting!  

 

1 comment:

Annette Allen said...

This is adorable and I think it is awesome how you can made it funny. Those little ants are a pain. I hope your son got them under control.