Thursday, March 10, 2022

Recycled Washi Paper Covered Bound Journal

While looking for something in my messy of a craft room, I found a hand-bound Japanese blank book.  The cover was severely foxed but the inside of the book had lovely gold foil specks on each handmade page.  I couldn't bare to toss it out so I covered it with printed washi paper. At first I was just going to glue a piece of cherry blossom print paper to the front and back of the journal but then I remembered how we covered textbooks in grade school. (Remember when textbooks had to last for several years of students?) Anyway, it's a simple task to fold the top, bottom and sides of a rectangle paper to fit any size book and then slip it on like a book jacket.  Extra large sheets of origami paper can be purchased at Celebrations (next to BFC Mapunapuna).  
This top view shows how the paper forms a cover that makes the journal a bit sturdier.  Although the inside pages look foxed, they are really the flecks of gold foil in the paper.  I used a new Spellbinder cherry blossom die to cut a piece of bronze colored foil to use as a focal point on the front of the journal. (Sorry, I wasn't able to capture a good photo of the foil...it really isn't that dark.)  I am pleased that I was able to save this 're-discovered treasure' and turn it into a possible gift for someone who might use it as a memory saver.  I was glad to see that HM Ben Franklin Crafts is once again selling Spellbinder products (Remember their stencils?).  I used this die to make some Girl's Day items (see previous post) and I will certainly go back to HM BFC and get more of the beautifully designed Spellbinder dies.  See you there!

 

1 comment: