Thursday, March 17, 2022

Chocolate Candy Sweet Thanks Slimline Shaker Card

At first glance this slimline card seems simple and boring but a closer look reveals how complicated it was to create.  Starting with a 12x12 Simple Stories card stock, a Whimsy die set was used to cut out the candy designed paper  and a turquoise card stock.  Initially, I was planning to let the turquoise squares show but then very little of the candy print was visible, so I opted to replace the cut out candy print squares.  Simple huh? NOT!  First, I had to glue down some clear acetate behind the windows.  Then sticky foam tape had to be applied around the back of the printed card stock to form a pocket for the sprinkles.  (In hindsight, I should have cut a foam sheet exactly like the printed candy paper and apply a sticky back. That would have been simpler.)  Placing the cut out squares directly below the windows was the problem and to add to the trauma, the little sprinkles had to be put in place without shaking any of them....a triple headache situation.  Once everything was in place and shaking properly, I could breathe again. Yay! The little 'windows' are well camouflaged by the chocolate candy print, but you can see them better in the close up picture below.
I used a Whimsy 'Sweet' die set to cut the turquoise foil outline and the pink glitter paper script. The small 'thanks'  was also cut from turquoise foil with a Taylored Expressions die.  My favorite part of this card is the shaking sprinkles (purchased from HM Ben Franklin Crafts). They add a surprise element to a rather simple looking slimline card.  Despite all the 'sticky' problems, I like the way this card turned out.  When I make it again, I'm sure that it will be much easier and faster. Like everything, practice makes perfect...well, at least better. LOL!

 

1 comment:

eunice said...

OMGosh, what a super cool shaker card! Don't think I've ever seen one quite like this with little pocket shakers. Looks and sounds quite complicated to put together, but it looks amazing!