Thursday, July 27, 2023

Alice in Wonderland Tags

I was getting tired of making cards and wanted to try out two new sets of Alice in Wonderland clear stamps by Kodomo No Kao. The two sets had thirteen stamps each and were purchased in Japan but I think they are available online.  I love the old time fine line drawings and interesting dialog from the Lewis Carrol books so I couldn't wait to fashion some tags with them.  I started by die cutting some large tags using the Little B tag die set. Next I used Kansai Tambi Pearl Watercolors and the paints from a large set of Kuretake watercolors.  Together the vibrant colors and pearl sheen combined to make very interesting backgrounds for the tags.
Thee two are my favorites because of the colors and images that were enhanced by the items that were added on.  It's hard to see, but the tag with feathers has an image of Alice holding a flamingo (one of the famous images from the croquet scene). I thought this was a clever pairing.  The other tag was sort of a good save because there was a huge smudge under the fussy cut rabbit. Also the Alice image seated at the table was hard to see so another fussy cut image was applied over it. The fussy cut images were taken from a tag that was going to be thrown away because it had some major flaws.  See it pays to keep a scrap pile! 
Not shown in these photos, the backs of the tags were made from die cut printed scraps (from my never-ending pile) which were glued onto the tag fronts because after watercoloring the tags, the backs were unattractively stained.  Reinforcement labels were added to the fronts and backs of the tags around the holes to mimic postage tags.  I had the most fun finding fancy yarns to match the tags.  I think they really add to the Alice in Wonderland feel of the tags...the white rabbit would have approved. Do you? 
P.S. The little gold charms were found in my drawer of 'things to use someday'. I purchased them from a fabric store for only a $1 a scoop of assorted charms! Always keep your eyes open for unexpected treasures in unexpected places!
 

1 comment:

yyam said...

They are really pretty. I think you add some really lovely details to your work and should consider posting closeup photos so we can admire the details. :)